Saturday 1 June 2013

Mystery Part

So my 6" over XS stanchions are, fingers crossed, back from the hard chromers on Tuesday otherwise I'm going to be dragging more than my gnads on the floor at Dirt Quake II. Luckily the corners were slightly banked at Coventry for DQ I, but the frame rails still scraped.
I now have all the parts needed for a full fork refurb including modern progressive Hagon springs (via Heiden Tuning in Holland). While I was de-griming I noticed that the teflon coated steel bushes that sit below the rubber oil seals looked a bit scragly. It was advised that they be changed. Scouring workshop schematics from various years and models (pre and post 1979 SE that mine is), it didn't seem that they were even shown separate of the aluminium legs, let alone have a Yamaha spares part number. Hmm. Several hours of interknitting revealed other XS'ers ending up in the same cul-de-sac. Fianally I found mention of '1H3-23125-00'. But further Googling was only showing it as 'metal slide' for late model SR500, but no photographic or written evidence that this was what I was after.Apart from Japanese language websites, the only place I could find them for sale - still with no photo, no dimensions or other certifiable proof this was the correct item, was CMS just north of Amsterdam. They have a humongous stock of parts for 70s Jap bikes - the majority of which is clearly illustrated. I orderd two blind and on first inspection and measurement (39mm diameter, 11.9mm high), it seems like the mystery is solved.I guess ideally they should pressed in with a hydraulic press, baby Jesus knows how I'm going to get the old bastards out. BP

4 comments:

Diplomate said...

I'll second your enthusiasm for CMS - top provider.
Re sliders: Baby Jesus would say: "judicious use of a stick welder, run a nice ring of weld around the inner surface, often enough on its own but also can provide a puchase for a puller.
Fiting new - hot tube, cold bush - simples."

Diplomate said...

I'll second your enthusiasm for CMS - top provider.
Re sliders: Baby Jesus would say: "judicious use of a stick welder, run a nice ring of weld around the inner surface, often enough on its own but also can provide a puchase for a puller.
Fiting new - hot tube, cold bush - simples."

Josh said...

CMS are yearly the ray of hope when you need obscure parts that nobody's ever heard of. Bubblevisor's got some pics of what their setup looks like... Neat! http://bubblevisor.blogspot.in/2013/02/consolidated-motor-spares.html

mp said...

Ive just been doing my gearbox... this reminds me of that. aaaaarrrrgghhhh the nightmare